The energy diet
The Eatwell Guide is very useful for checking how much of what foods we should be eating on a daily basis. This guide clearly explains what food groups there are and how much we should be eating from each of these different food groups.
A healthy balanced diet is the most important thing in order to keep your energy levels up throughout your day, but there are some key things you can focus on to get more energy from your diet.
The main recommendations are to:
- eat at least 5 portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables every day
- base meals on potatoes, bread, rice, pasta or other starchy carbohydrates – choose wholegrain versions where possible
- have some dairy, or dairy alternatives such as soya drinks – choose lower-fat and lower-sugar options
- eat some beans, pulses, fish, eggs, meat and other protein – including 2 portions of fish every week, 1 of which should be oily
- choose unsaturated oils and spreads, and eat them in small amounts
- drink 6 to 8 glasses of fluid a day
Source: NHS website
Read the full article
Find out more about the energy ‘diet’ and what you can do to get the most from what you eat read the full article on the NHS website.
You can contact One You Merton to help you eat well and feel more energised by calling 020 8973 3545, e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting our Eating page.