During these unprecedented times it is overwhelming for everyone; no schools open, social distancing, self-isolation, limited stock on the supermarket shelves and financial constraints.
Tips & Alternatives:
– For foods that come in large quantities e.g. chicken fillets individually pack and freeze them allowing you to defrost as and when you need.
– Make a shopping list and make a meal plan ahead so you can avoid wasting any food
– If there are no chopped tomatoes available- use tomato puree/tinned plum tomatoes or tomato passata
– If you can’t get hold of tinned or fresh pulses buy dried pulses, soak them for a few hours and cook
– Eggs may be out of stock depending what you use them for. Use milk and flour to make pancakes without eggs, or try scrambled tofu as a replacement for scrambled eggs
– Canned tuna – try other canned fish e.g. salmon, mackerel, sardines
– As well as frozen vegetables and frozen fruit use fresh fruit and vegetables, canned fruit in juice, dried fruit & canned vegetables
– If pasta and rice are not on the shelves, try other grains such as bulgar wheat, couscous, quinoa, noodles, spaghetti
– If milk is low, try plant-based milks ensure they are fortified or long-life milk
– Make a large casserole/stew where you can have a one pot meal, use for the next few days and even freeze. Also use up leftovers and add into next day meals e.g. wraps