Vegetarian roast dinner
With Christmas around the corner here is a simple vegetarian main course using puff pastry and plenty of vegetables adding variety to your diet.
Ingredients – Serves 4
1 pack of ready roll puff pastry
1 bag of spinach
1 pack of pre-cut cubed butternut squash or sweet potatoes
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp curry powder
1 red onion chopped
1 pack of feta crumbled
Handful of thyme
1 pack of sliced mushrooms
¼ cup soured cream
¼ cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Drizzle some olive oil in a pan, sauté the onions, add the butternut squash along with the paprika, curry powder, chilli powder, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Allow to cook for about 15-20 minutes until tender. Add a splash of water if required.
- Once the butternut squash is cooked, transfer to a bowl then add the mushrooms into the same pan and cook for a few minutes and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the spinach according to pack instructions. Strain and squeeze out as much water as possible and put in a bowl. Stir in the soured cream and season.
- Unroll the pastry sheet and cut it into 4 equal rectangles, then transfer to a baking sheet. Add the spinach on each cut pastry in the middle, leaving a 0.5cm border around the edge. Brush the border with some milk.
- Top each pastry with butternut squash mixture and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and scatter with the mushrooms, crumbled feta cheese and thyme.
- Bake for a further 15 minutes. Serve with your roast potatoes and vegetables.
Add tomatoes/use vegan cheese if vegan or omit cheese
There are also lots of great recipes for all the family on the NHS Healthier Families page
Find more information about good nutrition by visiting our Eat Well page